Gu, Junlian PhD, Professor
Qilu Outstanding Young Scholar
No. 44 Wenhuaxi Road,
Nursing Building Room 408
Jinan, Shandong Province, China 250012
Research Area: Prevention, Treatment, Nursing Care of Chronic Diseases
Academic advisor for Master's students: Yes
Academic advisor for PhD students: Yes
2002-2007 Bachelor in Nursing, Shandong University
2009-2011 Master in Pathology, Jilin University
2011-2014 PhD in pathology, Jilin University
2013-2018 Post-doctoral fellow The University of Louisville (USA)
2018-Now Professor, Shandong University
Description of Research and Teaching
My research is focusing on studies related to signaling pathways, therapeutic and nursing strategies in Cardiovascular complications of diabetes, obesity and doxorubicin. By using animal models with genetic manipulations and cutting-edge techniques in molecular and cell biology, our team seeks to develop effective strategies or improve nursing approach for preventing cardiac aging, oxidative stress, inflammation and apoptosis to prevent cardiomyopathy.
01/01/2017---30/12/2019 Study on the FGF21’s prevention and treatment of type 1 Diabetic cardiomyopathy through regulation of P53 (PI)
National Natural Sciences Fund
01/01/2016---30/12/2019 Reconstruction of prostate cancer metabolic profiles through P53 regulated by Zn enhanced its chemoradiation sensitivity (Co-I)
National Natural Sciences Fund
1. J. Gu, X. Yan, X. Dai, Y. Wang, P. Epstein, Y. Tan, L. Cai . Metallothionein is Downstream of Nrf2 and Partially Mediates Sulforaphane Prevention of Diabetic Cardiomyopathy, Diabetes, 66 (2017) 529-542.
2. J. Gu, Y. Cheng, H. Wu, L. Kong, S. Wang, Z. Xu, Z. Zhang, Y. Tan, B.B. Keller, H. Zhou, Y. Wang, Z. Xu, L. Cai . Metallothionein preserves Akt2 activity and cardiac function via inhibiting TRB3 in diabetic hearts, Diabetes, 2018 Mar 67(3): 507-517.
3. Z. Huang, Y. Tan, J. Gu, Y. Liu, L. Song, J. Niu, L. Zhao, L. Srinivasan, Q. Lin, J. Deng, Y. Li, D.J. Conklin, T.A. Neubert, L. Cai, X. Li, M. Uncoupling the Mitogenic and Metabolic Functions of FGF1 by Tuning FGF1-FGF Receptor Dimer Stability, Cell reports, 20 (2017) 1717-1728.
4. J. Gu, S. Wang, H Guo, Y. Tan, C.Zhang, L.Cai. Inhibition of p53 prevents diabetic cardiomyopathy by preventing early-stage apoptosis and cell senescence, reduced glycolysis, and impaired angiogenesis.Cell death & disease, 2018; doi:10.1038/s41419-017-0093-5.
5. S. Wang, Y. Wang, Z. Zhang, Q. Liu, J. Gu .Cardioprotective effects of fibroblast growth factor 21 against doxorubicin-induced toxicity via the SIRT1/LKB1/AMPK. Cell death & disease, 8 (2017) e3018。(Corresponding author)
6. J. Gu, Y. Li, J. Zeng, B. Wang, K. Ji, Y. Tang, Q. Sun. Knockdown of HIF-1alpha by siRNA-expressing plasmid delivered by attenuated Salmonella enhances the antitumor effects of cisplatin on prostate cancer, Scientific reports, 7 (2017) 7546.
7. Gu J, Wang B, Liu Y, Zhong L, Tang Y, Guo H, Yang Li, Cai Lu. Murine double minute 2 siRNA and wild-type P53 gene therapy interact positively with zinc on prostate tumours in vitro and in vivo. European Journal of Cancer 2014;50(6):1184-94.
8. Gu J, Tang Y, Liu Y, Guo H, Wang Y, Yang Li, Cai L. Murine double minute 2 siRNA and wild-type P53 gene therapy enhances sensitivity of the SKOV3/DDP ovarian cancer cell line to cisplatin chemotherapy in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Letters 2014;343(2):200-9.
9. Bo Wang, Kun Ji, Gu L and Cai L. Exposure to low dose cadmium enhances FL83B cells proliferation down-regulation of caspase-8 by DNA hypermethylation.Toxicology Research 2014; (Corresponding author)
10. S. Wang, J. Gu, Z. Xu, Z. Zhang, T. Bai, J. Xu, J. Cai, G. Barnes, Q.J. Liu, J.H. Freedman, Y. Wang, Q. Liu, Y. Zheng, L. Cai, Zinc rescues obesity-induced cardiac hypertrophy via stimulating metallothionein to suppress oxidative stress-activated BCL10/CARD9/p38 MAPK pathway, Journal of cellular and molecular medicine，2017 Jun;21(6):1182-1192
11. X. Liang, J. Gu, D. Yu, G. Wang, L. Zhou, X. Zhang, Y. Zhao, X. Chen, S. Zheng, Q. Liu, L. Cai, J. Cui, W. Li, Low-Dose Radiation Induces Cell Proliferation in Human Embryonic Lung Fibroblasts but not in Lung Cancer Cells: Importance of ERK1/2 and AKT Signaling Pathways, Dose-response : a publication of International Hormesis Society, 14 (2016) 1559325815622174
12. C. Zhang, Z. Huang, J. Gu, X. Yan, X. Lu, S. Zhou, S. Wang, M. Shao, F. Zhang, P. Cheng, W. Feng, Y. Tan, X. Li, Fibroblast growth factor 21 protects the heart from apoptosis in a diabetic mouse model via extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2-dependent signalling pathway, Diabetologia, 58 (2015) 1937-1948
13. J. Zhang, Y. Cheng, J. Gu, S. Wang, S. Zhou, Y. Wang, Y. Tan, W. Feng, Y. Fu, N. Mellen, R. Cheng, J. Ma, C. Zhang, Z. Li, L. Cai, Fenofibrate increases cardiac autophagy via FGF21/SIRT1 and prevents fibrosis and inflammation in the hearts of Type 1 diabetic mice, Clinical science, 130 (2016) 625-641.
14. Jiang T, Zhou C, Gu J, Liu Y, Zhao L, Li W, Yang Li, Cai L. Enhanced therapeutic effect of cisplatin on the prostate cancer in tumor-bearing mice by transfecting the attenuated Salmonella carrying a plasmid co-expressing P53 gene and mdm2 siRNA. Cancer Letters 2013;337(1):133-42.
15. H. Guo, Y. Li, J. Gu, Y. Wang, L. Liu, P. Zhang, Y. Liu, Effect of vascular endothelial growth factor siRNA and wildtype p53 coexpressing plasmid in MDAMB231 cells, Molecular medicine reports, 13 (2016) 461-468.
16. Y. Liu, R. Lu, J. Gu, Y. Chen, X. Zhang, L. Zhang, H. Wu, W. Hua, J. Zeng, Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 up-regulates stem cell markers in benzo[a]pyrene-induced malignant transformation of BEAS-2B cells, Environmental toxicology and pharmacology, 45 (2016) 241-250.
17. S. Wang, M. Luo, Z. Zhang, J. Gu, J. Chen, K.M. Payne, Y. Tan, Y. Wang, X. Yin, X. Zhang, G.C. Liu, K. Wintergerst, Q. Liu, Y. Zheng, L. Cai, Zinc deficiency exacerbates while zinc supplement attenuates cardiac hypertrophy in high-fat diet-induced obese mice through modulating p38 MAPK-dependent signaling, Toxicology letters, 258 (2016) 134-146.
18. H. Wu, L. Kong, Y. Tan, P.N. Epstein, J. Zeng, J. Gu, G. Liang, M. Kong, X. Chen, L. Miao, L. Cai, C66 ameliorates diabetic nephropathy in mice by both upregulating NRF2 function via increase in miR-200a and inhibiting miR-21, Diabetologia, 59 (2016) 1558-1568.
19. Zhong L, Wang Y, Li W, Gu J, Li X, Wang X, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 silencing increases the sensitivity of human osteosarcoma MG63 cells to arsenic trioxide. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 2014;392(1-2):135-44.
20. Zhang Z, Wang S, Zhou S, Yan X, Wang Y, Chen J, Gu J, Yi Tan, Cai L. Sulforaphane prevents the development of cardiomyopathy in type 2 diabetic mice probably by reversing oxidative stress-induced inhibition of LKB1/AMPK pathway. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology 2014;77C:42-52.
21. H. Guo, Y. Liu, J. Gu, Y. Wang, L. Liu, P. Zhang, Y. Li, Endostatin inhibits the growth and migration of 4T1 mouse breast cancer cells by skewing macrophage polarity toward the M1 phenotype, Cancer immunology, immunotherapy : CII, 65 (2016) 677-688.
Awards and Honors
2014 Jilin University academy first grade scholarship; Outstanding Graduates; National Excellent Doctoral Dissertation (China)
2013 Jilin University academy second grade scholarship
2012 First prize of Natural Science award of Jilin Province
2011 Second prize of natural science award of Jilin Province
2010 Jilin University academy second grade scholarship
2009 Jilin University academy second grade scholarship
REVIEWER FOR JOURNALS:
l Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine
l Diabetes，Obesity and Metabolism
l European Journal of Pharmacology
l Food and Chemical Toxicology
l Life Sciences
l PLOS One
l Tumor Biology