Fan Xiuzhen, PhD, Professor
Associate Dean of School of Nursing Shandong University
No. 44 Wenhuaxi Road,
Nursing Building Room 613
Jinan, Shandong Province, China 250012
Research Interests: Cardiovascular Nursing, Nursing Education
Academic advisor for Master's students: Yes
Academic advisor for PhD students: Yes
1986-1990 Shandong Medical University Faculty of Nursing (Bachelor Degree in Medicine)
1997-2000 Shandong Medical University School of Medicine (Master Degree in Medicine)
2002-2005 Shandong University School of Medicine (Ph.D.)
1990-2000 Teaching assistant and Lecturer, Faculty of Nursing, Shandong Medical University
2000-2005 Associate professor, School of Nursing, Shandong University
2005- Professor, School of Nursing, Shandong University
2006-2007 Visiting Scholar, College of Nursing, University of Kentucky
Description of Research and Teaching
My reseach team focuces on two fields, cardiovascular nursing and nursing eduction. The cardiovacular nursing reseach aims to improve the outcomes of patients with cardiovascular diseases. The nursing education research focuses on nursing students’s non-intelligence factors associated with nursing study, so as to improve nursing students’s comprehansive quality.
Three courses were offered by our team, Introduction to nursing, Nursing pedagogy for undergaduates, and Nursing education theory and practice for graduates.
2019.01-2020.12 Nursing workforce climate and associated factors (Co-PI)
The China Australia Centre for Health Science Research.
2016.12-2019.12 The predictive model of self-care and the development and evaluation of a standard intervention of self-care among patients with chronic heart failure
The Natural Sciences Fund of Shandong Province
1. Chai X, Cheng C, Mei J, Fan X*. Student nurses' career motivation toward gerontological nursing: A longitudinal study. Nurse Educ Today. 2019 Feb 6;76(2):165-171. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2019.01.028. [Epub ahead of print] (SCI, SSCI) Correspondence Author
2. Mei J, Tian Y, Chai X, Fan X*. Gender differences in self-care maintenance and its associations among patients with chronic heart failure. International Journal of Nursing Science, 2019, 6(1): 58-64 Correspondence Author
3. Wenjie Fang, Yanting Zhang, Jiaojiao Mei, Xiaohui Chai, Xiuzhen Fan*. Relationships between optimism, educational environment, career adaptability and career motivation in nursing undergraduates: A cross-sectional study. Nurse Educ Today. 2018,Sep; 68(9):33-39(SCI, SSCI) Correspondence Author
4. Zhang Y, Dong S, Fang W, Chai X, Mei J, Fan X*. Self-efficacy for self-regulation and fear of failure as mediators between self-esteem and academic procrastination among undergraduates in health professions. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2018, Oct;23(4):817-830 (SCI, SSCI) Correspondence Author
5. Zou H, Chen Y, Fang W, Zhang Y, Fan X*. Identification of factors associated with self-care behaviors using the COM-B model in patients with chronic heart failure. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2017 Aug;16(6):530-538. doi: 10.1177/1474515117695722. (SCI, SSCI) Correspondence Author
6. Chen Y, Zou H, Zhang Y, Fang W, Fan X*. Family Caregiver Contribution to Self-care of Heart Failure: An Application of the Information-Motivation-Behavioral Skills Model. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2017,32(6):576-583. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000398. (SCI, SSCI) Correspondence Author
7. Zou H, Tian Q, Chen Y, Cheng C, Fan X*.Coping Styles Mediate the Relationship Between Self-esteem, Health Locus of Control, and Health-Promoting Behavior in Chinese Patients With Coronary Heart Disease. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2017 Jul/Aug;32(4):331-338. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000357 (SCI, SSCI) Correspondence Author
8. Huijing Zou, Yuxia Chen, Wenjie Fang, Yanting Zhang, Xiuzhen Fan*. The mediation effect of health literacy between subjective social status and depressive symptoms in patients with heart failure. Journal of Psychosomatic Research,2016,91:33-39. (SCI, SSCI) Correspondence Author
9. Cheng C, Yang L, Chen Y, Zou H, Su Y*, Fan X*. Attributions, future time perspective and career maturity in nursing undergraduates: correlational study design. BMC Med Educ. 2016 Jan 25;16(1):26. (SCI, SSCI) Correspondence Author (2/2)
10. Fan X, Lv F. Psychosocial factors associated with self-efficacy for managing chronic disease in patients with chronic heart failure. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2016,Jun 15(4):255-261 (SCI, SSCI) First Author
11. Cheng M, Cheng C, Tian Y, Fan X*. Student nurses' motivation to choose gerontological nursing as a career in China: A survey study. Nurse Educ Today. 2015,35(7):843-848 (SCI, SSCI) Correspondence Author
12. Fan X, Meng Z. The mutual association between depressive symptoms and dyspnea in Chinese patients with chronic heart failure. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2015,14(4):310-316 (SCI, SSCI) First Author
13. Fan X, Lee KS, Frazier SK, Lennie TA, Moser DK. Psychometric testing of the Duke Activity Status Index in patients with heart failure. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 2015,14(3):214-221 (SCI, SSCI) First Author
14. Yan Tian, Xiuzhen Fan*. Adversity quotients, environmental variables and career adaptability in student nurses. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 2014, 85(3):251-257 (SSCI, IF:2.588 5-Year IF:3.590) Correspondence Author
15. Fan X, Lee KS, Frazier SK, Lennie TA, Moser DK. The use of, and perceptions about, dietary supplements among patients with heart failure. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs August 2014, 13(4): 311-319 (SCI, SSCI, IF:1.876,5-Year IF:1.894) First Author
Awards and Honors
1. Study on career motivation, career adaptability and job satisfaction in nursing undergraduates. 2018 Excellent research award in Shandong Universities (Natural science), First place.
2. Qilu Medical Excellent Teacher, 2017
3. Excellent Master Degree Thesis Guider Award, Shandong University, 2016
4. Factors associated with depression, dietary supplements use and cognition in patients with heart failure，2015 Excellent research award in Shandong Universities (Natural science), First place
1. Fellowship of nursing education section in Chinese nursing association.
2. Vice director member of evidence-based nursing in Shandong nursing association.